About the Family Equity Justice Project
The Family Equity Justice Project is an initiative that seeks to understand and document the lived experiences of LGBTQ+ families. In particular, we’re looking at how BIPOC, economically under-resourced, and/or geographically remote families who live outside the major urban centers of the United States experience the LGBTQ+ family journey. As a national nonprofit dedicated to ensuring that everyone can experience the unconditional joy and belonging of family, maintaining a full and complete picture of what all our families experience is essential to serving them better.
The goals of this project are to:
- Challenge existing assumptions and embedded bias of data and statistics related to LGBTQ+ families, specifically around race, socioeconomic status, family structure, and family creation
- Empower our organization to better respond to and include BIPOC families
- Expand the Family Equality community to include more geographically, structurally, and socioeconomically diverse individuals and families
- Strengthen our organizational capacity to respond to emerging opportunities and threats at local, state, and national levels
- Provide concrete recommendations for action and ethical research to advance the work of our organization and our movement partners
At the center of this project is a desire to engage with non-urban, BIPOC, and under-resourced LGBTQ+ families to collect data reflecting their perspectives, concerns, experiences, and needs as valued members of the LGBTQ+ family diaspora. As such, all our interactions with partners and participants must be grounded in Family Equality’s values.
Updates on our Family Equity Justice Project
The Family Equity Justice Survey
Our 2024 Family Equity Justice Survey is a research-focused facet of this project that seeks to learn more about the cycle of family-building and sustenance. The survey takes about 10 minutes to complete and is open now!
The Road Ahead
We are so grateful to develop this initiative with the early support of Disney, The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption, Target, and Fidelity.
We can’t wait to continue diving more deeply into this work with the help of partners and supporters like you!