Most guys assume that they’re not shooting blanks. In other words, they assume they’re fertile. But the fact is that every year, about six million couples have problems conceiving a child – and the source of those problems is the man as often as it is the woman. A lot of guys don’t realize how many things in 21st century life can harm their fertility – and more specifically, their sperm.Anything that warms the testicles is going to shut down sperm production temporarily: sitting in a hot tub, for instance, or constantly using a computer (which can generate a surprising amount of heat) on your lap.
Here are some other sperm killers to watch out for:
- Medical problems such as enlarged veins in the scrotum, infections of the reproductive tract (many of which may not be noticeable) and obstructions of a man’s ejaculatory ducts
- Obesity (it lowers testosterone levels)
- Poor diet
- Use of steroids to enhance athletic performance (these shut down testosterone production and halt sperm production)
- Use of lubricants during sex (most lubricants are toxic to sperm)
- Excessive smoking, alcohol use or drug use
By avoiding these sperm killers, you can boost yours – and you’ll be improving your overall physical and mental health as well.