An Important Legislation Alert about the Federal Adoption Tax Credit
Posted on May 26, 2017
I wanted to make sure you know that the federal adoption tax credit is in danger of being eliminated in the “tax reform legislation” This will be disastrous for the many families who will be unable to adopt without the credit. I’m copying below an e-mail that I request you disseminate to everyone with an interest in this issue. There are specific things people should do to let their legislator know how important the credit is to families and children.
Congress is expected to draft and advance major tax reform legislation. Some members of Congress have proposed eliminating almost all tax credits, including the adoption tax credit, which has historically received broad, bipartisan support.
This tax credit has proved to be an invaluable tool that has made it possible for thousands of families to adopt time and time again. Because of the very serious threat being posed to the adoption tax credit, it is critical for all of us to weigh in with Congress to ask them to save the adoption tax credit. Members of Congress need to hear how incredibly important and valuable this tool is in creating families and providing children loving homes.
If you feel as strongly as I do that we need to do everything we can to encourage adoption and save this tax credit, there are three things that you can join me in doing today to help with this effort:
1. Share your story with Congress. By going to this website: www.adoptiontaxcredit.org you can share your story with your members of Congress and ask them to keep the adoption tax credit so that many more families can be helped by this tool. We’ve done our best to make it easy for everyone to record their story with step-by-step instructions on the website.
2. Encourage others to get involved. Forward this email to others who have been touched by adoption and ask them to share their story as well.
3. Stay engaged. Once you are on the website www.adoptiontaxcredit.org please sign up to receive alerts so we can keep you abreast of developments in this effort.
Below I have pasted an email that has been sent out to others in the adoption community which provides additional logistical information. Attached to this email is a “tweet sheet” that will be useful as well. Thank you for your consideration. We can’t do this without you!
Now is the time for you to tell your story, and let your legislators know what the Adoption Tax Credit has meant for you and your family. Your voice matters – legislators will only #SaveTheATC if they understand the real-world impact and feel that their constituents support it.
Here are 8 easy steps to share your story directly with your Members of Congress!
- Click here. Using your phone or computer with a camera:
- Click Send Video. A new window will pop up - click Make a Video.
- The camera will turn on, and you're ready to record! Click the red button to start recording.
- When you're done telling your story, click the red button again to stop recording.
- Review your video to make sure it's what you want, and re-record if you want to make any changes.
- Click Send Video Message – and you're done!
- Enter your info or log in with Facebook – it will ask you if your zip code is correct. Click confirm to send the message to your Members of Congress!
- Click the Facebook and Twitter buttons to share immediately with others and encourage them to take action too!
And don’t stop there – once you’ve recorded your story, make sure to share it on Facebook and Twitter! Here are some sample tweets and posts, along with an attachment that lists each Member of Congress’ Twitter handle so you can tweet at them directly.
- The adoption tax credit made adoption possible for me and my family. Watch my story here [LINK] #SavetheATC #taxreform
- .@(your Member of Congress) Without the adoption tax credit, I wouldn't have been able to afford adoption. My story here [LINK] #SavetheATC #taxreform
- For me and thousands of families, the adoption tax credit made adoption possible. Watch my story here [LINK] #SavetheATC #taxreform
Sample Facebook Post:
- Without the adoption tax credit, I would not have been able to bring home my child[ren]. Watch my story here! [LINK]. Please join me and tell Congress we must save this credit! #SavetheATC #taxreform
Denise Seidelman, Esq. is a partner in the firm of Rumbold and Seidelman, LLP and a member of Path2Parenthood’s Board of Directors
Photo credit: Nick Youngson, http://nyphotographic.com/